Carrboro Police Arrest 2 Carjacking Suspects

Michael Leon Edwards, 33, of 1403 Foxglen Court and Jennings J. Robinson, 27, of 2919 University Drive in Durham, were arrested at 5:26 a.m. Sunday for multiple offenses in relation to the carjacking incident.

Police responded to a report of carjacking at The Pantry No. 386 at 500 Jones Ferry Road. The victim said a suspect he later identified as Edwards climbed into the passenger side of the victim's car, which belonged to the victim's brother. The suspect stuck the victim in the side with a sharp object and told the victim to drive, reports state.

Reports also state that after the suspect forced the victim to drive for several miles in an area around Jones Ferry Road with which the victim was not familiar, the victim said he was pushed from the car.

Police reportedly spotted the stolen vehicle at The Pantry No. 941 at 102 N.C. 54, and found Robinson in the driver's seat. Edwards was reportedly in the passenger seat of the car.

Reports state that the officials recognized Robinson as having been involved in other incidents in the area and when they stopped her for questioning, Edwards and Robinson ran. Police apprehended both Edwards and Robinson. Reports state that Edwards was charged with possession of cocaine, armed robbery, first-degree kidnapping, possession of a stolen vehicle and resisting, delaying and obstructing arrest.

Robinson was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a stolen vehicle and resisting, delaying and obstructing arrest, reports state.

Both suspects were taken to Orange County Jail, reports state. Edwards was held in lieu of a $7,500 secured bond, and Robinson was held in lieu of a $1,000 secured bond, reports state.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.