Congress Against CAA Probe

The resolution, which Congress rejected by a 9-3 vote, would have set up a special committee to investigate the organization. The 82nd Congress considered a similar measure before it adjourned last week.

"I'm introducing this resolution as a response to the concerns of the 82nd Congress," said Dave Ruddell, ethics committee chairman. "In case there was something done wrong, we should investigate."

Ruddell said he wanted to set up the committee because Congress has the responsibility to monitor campus groups that receive student fees.

"Since CAA receives student fees, we are entitled to any information from them, or we can take away their fees," he said.

The committee would have looked into such actions as ticket distribution, the selection of bracelet numbers and the firings of CAA Cabinet members.

The main opposition to the highly contested resolution came from Congress members concerned about the effect an investigation would have on the new CAA administration. CAA President Reid Chaney was sworn in last week.

"We're casting a shadow of doubt over a new administration who had nothing to do with what happened while (former CAA President) Tee Pruitt was there," said Blair Sweeney, chairman of the Rules and Judiciary Committee.

Ruddell said he did not intend to accuse Pruitt or Chaney of any wrongdoing. "I intend this to be an investigation of the Carolina Athletic Association -- period," he said.

Gregory Wahl, Student Affairs Committee chairman, said it would be useless to investigate accusations after the fact. "I think it's going to be redundant to look at what happened when those who might have done it will not feel the wrath of Student Congress."

Ruddell responded by saying it is important that students who might have violated the Honor Code be brought to justice. "If someone did something bad, we can't just leave it in the past."

Speaker Pro Tem Sarah Marks, who said she spoke about the allegations with Pruitt, said an investigation would be futile because evidence would be difficult to find at this point.

Tackling issues unrelated to the CAA, Congress approved the bylaws and undergraduate members of next year's Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor. Sophomore Jennifer Daum, one of the new members of SAC, said she is excited about the opportunity to serve on the committee.

"I think it's very important that the chancellor has a personal relationship with the students so he knows that his decisions really affect them."