DNC Puts Up $13 Million for Redistricting

The DNC plans to donate a total $13 million to the redistricting effort. The money will be used by redistricting committees to buy various technology and hire staffs.

And top N.C. Republicans say their party will be forced to respond to the Democrats' effort.

Republicans currently have the majority in the U.S. House with 221 representatives, while Democrats have 211 members.

But some N.C. Democrats said they had not yet heard of the DNC plan to provide financial resources to redistricting committees, though they added that they plan to give any support the redistricting committees need.

N.C. Democratic Party Chairwoman Barbara Allen said the party will be working with the N.C. General Assembly to do redistricting the right way.

She said the party wants what is fair for it. "We want to get all the seats that are legitimately ours," Allen said.

Republican officials added that the Democrats' donation indicates their dedication to gaining an advantage in redistricting.

N.C. Republican Party Chairman Bill Cobey said the donation shows that Democrats are very concerned about gaining congressional seats in hopes of regaining control in the House.

"It sounds like they are really serious," he said. "It shows they are serious about giving their best effort to gerrymander and receive results in their favor."

Cobey said the money donated most likely will have some affect on the redistricting. "When they brag publicly like this, something will happen," he said.

He also said the Republican National Committee will need to respond to this challenge by also giving money. "I hope we can respond and not be at a tremendous disadvantage," Cobey said.

Sen. Brad Miller, D-Wake, chairman of the N.C. Senate Redistricting Committee, added that he believes there will not be problems with redistricting in North Carolina because the voters get a say in where the lines go. "I have learned to stand humbly before the voters," he said.

And Miller predicts the new plan will look like the old plan.

"You will have four or five strongly Republican districts and four or five strongly Democratic districts, while the others will be up for grab," he said.

Miller also said the committee will try not to drastically alter the districts.

"People are used to their representatives and we will try to keep that," he said.

Both party heads said their respective parties stand ready to provide support to the redistricting committee and other party members.

Allen said the Democratic Party office is gearing up for the redistricting but that there has not been an opportunity to do a lot since the redistricting process has just started.

Cobey added that the Republican Party office will support members of the General Assembly, but that it is up to the party office to work with the Republican senators and representatives.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.