Going on 60 Years And Still in Fashion

The scenario is not uncommon at the Franklin Street clothing store. Julian's green canopy has hung over the sidewalk since 1942, when the late Maurice Julian opened the store.

After his death eight years ago, the founder's daughter, Missy Julian-Fox, took the reigns of the store with her husband, Michael Fox. Her designer brother, Alex, runs the creative aspect of the business from his headquarters in Connecticut.

An alumna of UNC herself, Julian-Fox admits that alumni often visit Julian's when they return to their alma mater. "Some of the alumni have come in and said, 'It feels the same way, but you changed this or that,'" she said. "I will tell them that my dad didn't get to stay in business for himself for 50 years by being the exact same thing he was the day he opened."

Decades after opening, Julian-Fox said the store continues to uphold the traditions and core beliefs on which it was founded. "Our almost 60-year history has been about traditional with a twist," she said. "It's great style, good fit, a lot of flexibility. It makes customers look good, which translates into feel good."

This tradition also includes a close relationship with the University.

"Our connections with the University run very deep, all the way from my brother inventing the basketball uniform to having a need-based scholarship in our mom and dad's honor," Julian-Fox said. "We're proud of everything we're able to do with this business."

The store also has employed many UNC students. Julian-Fox said they provide a creative edge to the business and form part of an extended family.

"Working at Julian's was a wonderful experience," said former employee Eliza Warren, a senior journalism major. "They're your employers, and they're also your friends. I transferred here, and Julian's really took me under their wing and helped me meet people."

Lately, the store has been involved with the University in other ways.

Tonight, Julian's will be among the designers showcasing everything from beachwear to formalwear at a fashion show at 7 p.m. in the Great Hall. Proceeds from the show, sponsored by the Kenan-Flagler Business School, will go to the Durham Scholars, an after-school program for minorities at local elementary schools. Tickets are $6.

In the fall, Julian's also kicked off its Men of Style advertising campaign. After placing advertisements for volunteering models in The Daily Tar Heel, the store choose 14 UNC men to appear in its fall campaign. "The whole thing was about applauding our college fellows and their sense of style," Julian-Fox said. "We just had a wonderful time with that, and I think they would say they had a good time, too."

Following the success of its initial Men of Style campaign, the store plans to host another one this fall.

Even with the evolving times, Julian-Fox said the store's green canopy will complement the street facade for many years to come.

"We grew up by hearing people saying 'I'll meet you at Julian's after the game,'" Julian-Fox said. "We figure if we continue to hear that, then we'll continue to work to be here.

"This is our town and our street and our university, and you can't take away any segment of that. It just wouldn't be the same."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.