Gymnastics, Dance to Grace UNC

Gymnastics, Dance to Grace UNC

Aptly called "AEROS," the show is the first of a new kind of dance theater that brings world-class gymnastics into the realm of performance art.

The show has received rave reviews for its sold-out tour in Italy, and has been well-received in the United States as well. "AEROS" is coming to the UNC campus as part of the Carolina Union Performing Arts Series.

Gymnastics competitions feature only individual routines of athletic achievement. Throughout "AEROS," the audience watches a choreographed interweaving of dancing and tumbling that aims to entertain as well as awe audiences.

This combination of dance and gymnastics was unique to Mihaela Pohoata, 20, a performer in "AEROS" who has been training her body and mind for gymnastics since age 5.

"It's different doing this," she said. "In the beginning, it was hard because you didn't know how to have space for everyone, not just yourself."

"AEROS" is accompanied by live music, composed by Toronto's Two Tall Guys Music Lab specifically for this show. The score is designed to complement the integration of dance and gymnastics in a series of colorfully costumed minidramas.

The integration of dance, gymnastics and music was created by three of the biggest names in choreography -- Daniel Ezralow, David Parsons and Moses Pendleton.

"Just the choreographers' names really validate the show," said Jennifer Smith, marketing coordinator for the Carolina Union.

All three choreographers have received awards for their work in entertainment and dance. To produce "AEROS," they collaborated with Luke Cresswell and Steven McNicholas, the creators of the percussionistic Broadway show "STOMP."

The 15 young men and women of "AEROS" bring a lifetime of dedication and talent to the stage. "It cannot be beautiful without hard work," Pohoata said.

All of the performers were chosen from the prestigious Romanian Gymnastics Federation by the choreographers specifically for this show. Four of them are world champions.

With world-class gymnasts and renowned choreographers, Smith said she is sure the Carolina Union has made a good choice in "AEROS." "It's going to be an amazing event," she says, "No one will leave disappointed."

"AEROS" shows one night only, at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Memorial Hall. For tickets, call the Carolina Union Box Office at 962-1449.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.