Hispanic Population Seeks Clout

Despite the increase in the Hispanic population and its influence in state affairs, Hispanic leaders feel their voice is still largely unheard in state government.

Elena Askey, a Hispanic who works in the office of Rep. Debbie Clary, R-Gaston, said she sees growing Hispanic influence in North Carolina.

Askey said many high positions in the governor's office are now held by Hispanics and the state Senate recently hired a special Hispanic adviser.

But she also said more representation is still needed. "I wish the House would establish something like (the Senate did)," Askey said. "I believe we are lacking in that department."

Rep. Danny McComas, R-New Hanover, is the lone Hispanic holding a seat in the General Assembly.

McComas said the state Hispanic population is growing rapidly but more representation will take some time.

"Hispanics in North Carolina are a relatively new phenomenon," McComas said. "They are the largest minority group and that definitely puts them in the forefront of the political process."

Andrea Bazan-Manson, director of El Pueblo, a statewide Latino advocacy group, said there is an increasing Hispanic voice in the state.

Bazan-Manson said many Latinos now hold key positions like sheriffs.

She also said there are 80 Latino organizations in North Carolina, many of which are lobbying state legislators for more Hispanic rights. "We have a legislative agenda," Bazan-Manson said. As an organization we have begun lobbying."

She said some of the items El Pueblo is lobbying for include educational reform, equal access to health care and more rights for workers and homeowners.

According to 2000 Census data, Cumberland County has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the state.

Rep. Mia Morris, R-Cumberland, said she thinks the Hispanic community will continue to grow.

On the advice of Hispanic friends, Morris said she made a special effort to reach out to Hispanic voters during her last campaign. She went door to door meeting the local Hispanics and used her Spanish-speaking skills to run ads on a local radio station. "(Hispanics) want many of the same things everyone else does," she said. "They want good schools and safe streets."

Morris also said she is noticing a growing number of Hispanic groups in North Carolina, such as the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the N.C. Hispanic Association.

Morris said that while none of these groups have made any specific requests of her, she suspects "that's not far down the road."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.