Police Roundup 04/19/01

University

Tuesday, April 17

University police responded to a report of property damage to a vehicle at 9 a.m.

The victim said he picked up the vehicle from the R-3 lot at 4 a.m. and drove it to several locations on campus before going to his office at the School of Law. He discovered the damage after returning to his vehicle at 9 a.m.

There were no witnesses.

Monday, April 16

Sean Simone reported to police that Samuel Thomas Tyndall Parham had a 9 mm handgun in his unlocked vehicle.

At 11:19 p.m., Parham was arrested for possession of a firearm on campus.

At 4:04 p.m., University police responded to a report of a larceny at Fetzer Field.

The victim said he left his wallet in a backpack in the locker room underneath the bleachers. When he came back he noticed that his wallet was missing.

There is no further information at this time.

At 5 p.m., reports state that a call for EMS services was made to University police.

The call was made from the Old Dental School after the victim was attempting to separate a dental cast. The knife he was using slipped and cut his hand, causing him to lose consciousness and fall and hit the countertop. The victim sustained injury to his forehead.

The internal trauma team was notified and the student was treated on the scene. The victim was transported to Student Health Service for further treatment.

City

Tuesday, April 17

Chapel Hill police received a report of breaking and entering and larceny at Ken's Quickie Mart, located at 201 W. Franklin St., at 5:20 a.m.

Reports state that the suspect gained entry by breaking the front glass door with a large saucepot.

The suspect then stole four cartons of Newport cigarettes, valued at $100, reports state. Reports estimated damage to the front door at $200. The case is under further investigation.

Carrboro police found three cars broken into at 203 E. Main St. at 4:47 a.m. Reports state that a 1997 Toyota Corolla had its driver's side window and key lock damaged and the face to the car stereo stolen.

A 1991 Chevy Blazer had its right passenger window and key lock damaged and the face to the car stereo stolen, reports state. A 1999 Jeep Cherokee had its right side passenger window damaged and the car stereo stolen, reports state. There are no suspects at this time, but the case is under further investigations.

Carrboro police received a complaint of breaking and entering and larceny at Elmo's Diner at 200 N. Greensboro St. at 11:45 p.m.

Reports state that the suspect broke the side window and took 12 Bud Lights, 10 Buds, 10 Heinekens and one Slim Jim gray trash can. Damage is estimated at $402, reports state.

Police were able to get a fingerprint from the handle of a beer cooler.

The case has been closed.

Monday, April 16

Chapel Hill police received a complaint of breaking and entering at Cingular Wireless, located at 1704 E. Franklin St., at 11:11 p.m.

The suspects broke the glass door with a rock and damaged the cash drawer. There was $550 in damage, police reports state. The case is under further investigation.

Carrboro police received a complaint of larceny at the Shepherd House restaurant, located at 405 Smith Level Road, at 12:40 a.m.

Police reports state that a case of bacon, a case of hamburger patties and two cases of chicken were taken. The total value of the food was $85.41.

Employees found that several boxes were missing Saturday. The kitchen manager of the restaurant received a call from a former employee Saturday reporting the boxes of food were in Horton's home. The case is under further investigation.

Carrboro police received a complaint of gunshots at 9:25 p.m. in the vicinity of the N.C. 54 Bypass. The source of the gunshots could not be located by police on the scene, reports state. There will be no further investigation.