Police Roundup 04/24/01

University

Sunday, April 22

A UNC student reported at 4:27 p.m. that unknown subjects had stolen her backpack while she was filming in the Department of Public Safety parking lot. She said she left the book bag unattended for no more than five minutes.

She saw a white sport utility vehicle drive into the parking lot and then turn around and noticed her backpack was gone. It was blue and black with a picture of a red Elmo character on it. It contained two checks, an ATM card and identification card, a text book, one dollar and a planner, reports state.

A female victim reported to University police at 7:16 p.m. that her license plate had been removed from her vehicle. She said she parked her car in the Upper Ehringhaus Parking Lot on April 21 and the license plate had been in place, reports state.

Saturday, April 21

The public safety department received a complaint about a loud party at Avery Residence Hall. An officer arrived at 2:04 a.m. and found 15 people at the scene. Three of the people possessed malt beverages, including a Bud Light, a Coors Light and a Mike's Hard Lemonade. The three students were cited with alcohol possession, reports state.

A UNC student left his wallet on his desk in his room at approximately midnight and reported it missing at 1:39 a.m. He said he left his room at Carmichael Residence Hall. The room was not secured, and when he returned the wallet was missing. It contained $100, eight credit and debit cards, a Georgia driver's license and a social security card, reports state.

A resident assistant at Craige Residence Hall told a public safety officer that a leopard print purse had been turned into the front desk area April 17. Later, on April 21, another RA looked in the side pocket and saw a razor blade and a green straw with a white, powdery substance the inside it. There was only 37 cents in the purse and no identification. It is being held by University police, reports state.

Friday, April 20

At 4:23 p.m. a UNC student reported a black wallet found at the ATM center on Raleigh Road. There was no phone number in the wallet to contact the person who lost it. The wallet contained $20, a student identification, a UNC ONE Card, an ATM card, two Visa credit cards and three checks, reports state.

City

Sunday, April 22

Carrboro police arrested Charles Thomas Wright, 38, 2314 White Cross Road at 7:10 a.m. for possession with intent to sell or distribute a counterfeit controlled substance, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of drug paraphernalia, having a fictitious registration and having an expired registration.

Police stopped Wright at East Main Street near Roberson Street for an expired inspection from 1998 and having no visible plate, which was later seen in the rear window, reports state.

Reports also state that a carbon dioxide pistol, five rocks of counterfeit cocaine, 131 tablets of Zanaflex and a crack pipe were found in the vehicle.

Wright was transported to Orange County Jail where he was held in lieu of a $5,000 secured bond, reports state.

He was scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on April 23.

Saturday, April 21

Chapel Hill police arrested Theartris Deleon Feaster, 25, of 115 Liberity St. B, at 7:06 p.m. for assault on a female, assault with a deadly weapon and possession of cocaine, reports state.

Police arrested Feaster at Graham and Rosemary streets after he grabbed the victim and pulled her alongside his car, reports state. Feaster was transported to Orange County Jail where he was held in lieu of a $5,000 bond. He was scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on April 23.

Carrboro police arrested four people at 6:32 a.m. for two counts of assault with a deadly weapon to inflict serious injury, breaking and entering of a motor vehicle and larceny and possession of stolen goods. Police arrested Steve Rhodes, 35, of 502 Caldwell St. A; Chadwick Lynn Talbert, 29, of 7423 Old Greensboro Road; Andre Lamonte Bradsher, 38, of 801 N.C. 54 West and Steven Vincent Purefoy, 36, of 112 A. Johnson St., reports state.

Each of the four suspects was held in lieu of a $6,000 bond and was scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on April 23, reports state.