`Staggering Genius' Gives `Heartbreaking' Interview

Random topics indeed.

But even more random when you consider these topics have nothing to do with the questions he was asked.

Below are excepts from the interview with a man whose genius seems to be truly staggering. An unedited version of the interview is available at http://www.dailytarheel.com.

Q: You seem to have really good taste (REM since Chronictown -- I approve!) -- what are you listening to/reading/partaking of at the moment?

A: Glen Campbell.

Q: How is (your younger brother) Toph? Are you guys alike?

A: Toph is in the Navy. I am not.

Q: What about your other brother and sister? What do they think of "AHWOSG"? I seem to recall their reactions weren't always favorable. Did/does that bother you at all?

A: They are also in the Navy.

Q: Does it bother you that after having written a somewhat revealing memoir-ish work random people (like me) ask such questions?

A: No. Their presence in the Navy is of public record.

Q: You ... tend to wrap yourself in so many layers of self-deprecation and half-feigned insecurity that you achieve a weird sort of sincerity. ... Is it impossible to achieve sincerity except through all those self-conscious layers?

A: Yes, but more importantly, how do we dispose of our batteries? Car batteries in particular? No one knows this.

Q: Do you ever worry that you'll ... get dismissed as just being too gimmicky?

A: Actually, I know we're allowed to throw regular smallish batteries in the garbage, but the car batteries -- I still do not know this, what to do with these.

Q: Who do you predict will be considered the great literary figures of the early 21st century?

A: There is a young German writer named Steve. I forget his last name, but he will dominate all literature, at least until the middle of the century, at which point some other things will happen, involving gardens.

Q: Out of random curiosity, what do you think about poetry?

A: I find it very promising, if a bit faddish.

Q: Where can the average person find an extant copy of Might?

A: I actually think you might be able to bring the car batteries back to the garage or parts store. They probably have a place for them.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.