Students to Take Action Against Budget Cuts

About 20 students from student government and other campus groups met Sunday night outside Hamilton Hall to plan protests against the proposed cuts.

Earlier this month, a General Assembly subcommittee, facing the worst budget deficit in a decade, suggested that $125 million be cut from UNC-system funding. UNC's share would total $25 million.

Student Body President Justin Young suggested developing a lobbying system that will attract the most attention from the state.

"What we need to do is make sure we set up our strategy front," he said.

Young and other organizers plan to set up e-mail and phone stations in the Pit on Wednesday so students can contact state representatives.

A demonstration with student, faculty and administrative speakers will take place the same day, but a location is yet to be determined.

Students will be able to meet legislators in person Thursday, and Young said transportation is still being worked out. He said he is weighing several options, from carpooling to busing.

Wednesday and Thursday's events are scheduled to coincide with other demonstrations at campuses across the state, particularly N.C. State University, Young said.

Students at N.C. State will be walking out of classes Wednesday at 11 a.m. and gathering at their bell tower, where they will march to the legislative building and meet with representatives at noon.

Between now and Wednesday,Young said organizers will be getting the word out by fliers, e-mails and word of mouth so students will be eager to get involved.

"I think it's important we do so now," Young said. "We have to make sure our voice is heard throughout the summer."

Chancellor James Moeser made an appearance at Sunday's meeting to encourage the students' endeavors.

He said developing a strategy is essential to alleviating potential damage.

"These are very real cuts," Moeser said. "If we don't turn this thing around it will be very devastating."

Moeser said he doesn't believe legislators want to harm the University, but that students should emphasize the importance of finding other means of cutting the state deficit.

"I think it is our job to mobilize public opinion," he said.

Moeser rallied the students and gave them inspiration to make the projects effective means of persuasion. "I think our work is cut out for us."