Swim Pulls Cheers, Volunteers

Almost 75 people crowded into the Estes Drive Community Center on Thursday morning for the Orange County Special Olympics swimming competition. Parents, teachers, volunteers and, of course, athletes arrived from across the county to participate in the event.

Program coordinator Colleen Lanigan said events like this make disabled athletes feel involved with their community.

"Special Olympics provides athletic training for people with developmental disabilities," she said. "They're given things they can do with their family.

"There's lots of parents here. It gives them a chance to see their kids being successful," she added. "These are people who live and work in our communities."

Lanigan said the county's Special Olympics program holds seasons for various sports throughout the year. She also said the program is strongly oriented toward volunteerism.

"Almost every one (of our volunteers) is just a person off the street, which I think is so cool," she said.

"They are all people with good hearts."

Volunteer Beth Colacurcio, a UNC sophomore and member of the University's swim team, said she got involved through her sorority. "It's a really good experience," she said. "The most valuable thing is watching the kids' faces.

"Obviously they're really enjoying it; it just makes you happy for them."

Participants said they enjoyed the chance to compete. "I like swimming," said Christy Knudson, 19, a student at East Chapel Hill High School. "Everybody should swim."

Knudson's classmate Chris Kirkland, 17, said he agreed.

"I enjoy it," Kirkland said. "I like going underwater."

ECHHS special education teacher Kim Gardinier said the program was a valuable opportunity for her students.

"It's great," she said. "It's very well-organized.

"Everyone is very energetic; the kids have been looking forward to this for months."

Lanigan said the athletes represent a wide range of ages, and the competition was based on school classes.

One of the youngest participants, 6-year-old Will Arrington, said he enjoyed participating in the program.

"I like swimming," Arrington said. "I went underwater. That was fun. I love my rainbow towel."

Ted Arrington, Will's father, said the parents especially enjoyed the events.

"We love it. It's great for the kids to be able to get away from the school and be able to socialize with other kids," Ted Arrington said.

"Plus they get to swim."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk.unc.edu.