Tar Heels Finish 3rd in Tourney

Finley Golf Course served as the host site for the 12-team event Saturday and Sunday, which featured the ACC's four North Carolina state teams: Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.

The Blue Devils won the team event, shooting an 8-under-par 856 while WFU was two strokes behind at 858. The Tar Heels placed third with a score of 860 while the Wolfpack finished fourth, shooting an 864.

Duke's Kevin Streelman won the individual race, carding a 7-under-par 209 for the tournament.

UNC's Johno Harris was the top Tar Heel, coming in ninth with an effort of 214.

Other teams in the tournament were Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado and Tulsa. Ten of the 12 teams involved on Saturday and Sunday were ranked in the top 50 in the country.

UNC coach John Inman said he was pleased with the Tar Heels' results against their rival in-state teams.

"They didn't finish the way they wanted to, but I was proud of them," Inman said. "We played three good rounds of golf, and we still came out near the top."

Sunday's windy weather troubled the Tar Heels on the back nine. UNC's Ramon Bescansa bogeyed the last two holes amidst gusty winds and light showers, and he completed his final round 1-over-par 73.

But Inman said the inclement weather didn't play a huge role in his team's performance.

"It didn't come up until right near the end," Inman said. "I don't think it was much of a factor."

Although he finished earlier than most of his UNC teammates, senior Rob Simmons said the winds made a difference on the players.

"I got done a little earlier than everybody, but I could feel the wind on the last five holes," Simmons said. "It had some effect, and I definitely think it pushed the scores up."

Simmons' score increased for other reasons, namely putting.

Playing in his final collegiate tournament at Finley, Simmons couldn't capitalize on his second-round score of 1-under-par 71 and shot a 3-over 75 on Sunday.

Simmons attributed his troubles to the greens.

"I didn't putt very well," Simmons said. "I hit the ball really well, and I had a chance to score, but I didn't make any putts off those shots."

UNC now looks ahead to the ACC tournament, which runs from April 20 to 22 in Orlando, Fla., as its final chance to make some noise against conference foes.

"Obviously we'd like to win this golf tournament but I think we've built a lot of confidence this week with our play," Inman said. "We can take that down there and get better."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.