UNC's Master Plan `Well-Thought-Out,' Town Should Approve

My family and I were attracted to Chapel Hill because of this great University and the wonderful community that surrounds it. The worst thing that could happen to Chapel Hill would be for the University to lose its edge as a world-class, top-tier University.

The University must continue to add students to meet its statewide mandate. The citizens of Chapel Hill overwhelmingly supported the bond referendum, and my neighbors and I support wholeheartedly the University's desire to continue to grow and develop in a responsible manner to accomplish its mission.

The Master Plan calls for an increase in space for the arts, improvements to the library, an increase in green space and moving more students on campus and away from the adjoining neighborhoods.

Whether or not the University improves itself in the manner proposed will not stop the need to widen South Columbia Street. As the greater community grows, people will continue to visit the most beautiful town in North Carolina. We must not let the University stagnate and become second tier.

I urge town officials to join with the citizens of Chapel Hill and support this well-thought-out Master Plan. I also want to personally commend Chancellor James Moeser for continuing the great tradition of the University and for his leadership in this very important matter.

W. Clay Hamner

Chapel Hill