Women's Track Captures ACC Title, Men Take 4th

OK, so it doesn't have the same ring to it as the famous post-Super Bowl commericials do, but the women's North Carolina track and field team didn't care.

The Tar Heels held off rival Clemson by 14 points to win their first conference outdoor title since 1998, their 11th since 1988. They were then treated to a night at Disney's Pleasure Island.

UNC's men didn't fare as well. The Tar Heels placed fourth, with Clemson again taking home the championship.

"They went out and did what they're supposed to do," UNC coach Dennis Craddock said of the women's squad. "I thought they were a real family out there the last two days."

And that much was clear. The Tar Heels were the only team on the track at Disney's Wide World of Sports to consistently clap for their jumpers, urging them to leap farther and higher.

Shouts for their throwers 50 yards away were also heard.

But it took the entire team to pull out the victory. Everyone from fifth-year seniors to freshmen contributed to the win.

Joy Ganes got the Tar Heels off to a fast start Friday, winning the high jump with a leap of 5-10 3/4. She edged out Maryland's Vanessa Jones by way of clearing the bar in fewer attempts.

The victory gives Ganes her third outdoor ACC title and her seventh conference championship overall.

"It's a little disappointing though, being so close to eight straight," Ganes said. "But it feels great. If I was going to have to lose one year, it would not have been this one."

While Ganes' North Carolina career is coming to an end, freshman Alice Schmidt is quickly becoming a star. Schmidt won the 800-meter run in 206.50, clintching her second ACC title.

She broke from the pack with 300 to go and out-kicked Florida State's Laura Gerber, beating her by .45 seconds.

With Bobby Jo Munson's third-place finish, the Tar Heels scored 16 points in the 800, rather than the projected 10.

"I felt like there was a lot of pressure on me, after winning indoors," Schmidt said. "But it was a lot of help having Bobby Jo there. We were both able to run together."

But perhaps the biggest star for UNC was freshman Shalane Flanagan.

Flanagan set a new ACC record in the 1,500 with a time of 4:18.82, qualifying her for nationals. But with UNC up by only eight points heading into the second-to-last event, Craddock ran Flanagan in the 5,000, hoping she'd score three points and put the title out of Clemson's reach.

Flanagan had other things in mind. Running in training shoes, she came from roughly 50 meters from behind in the last 800 to win her second title of the day.

"We clinched the title for sure," she said. "So hopefully for the next four years, or however long I'm here, we won't lose to Clemson or anyone again."

Despite a lackluster finish, the men's squad turned in some impressive results.

Sal Gigante placed third in the shot put, third in the discus and second in the hammer throw. Ian Douglas won the shot put with a toss of 58-10 3/4 feet.

Even with the victory, Douglas tore off the tape on his hand and ripped off his uniform in disgust.

"Getting the win isn't always everything," Douglas said. "I wanted to qualify for nationals. Last year I was the first person not taken, I don't want to be in that position again."

Brent Callaway won the high jump and the 4x4 team knocked three seconds off their time, despite knowing that they couldn't move up in the team standings.

"I know media and fans just look at first and second, but they gave it the best effort they had," Craddock said. "That's all any coach can ask for."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.