A Two Step for Two Left Feet

But as the school year draws to a close and students, especially seniors, feel the urge to celebrate, there will be plenty of opportunities to get out on the dance floor and let loose.

So why do some partygoers choose not to participate?

It seems that some wallflowers are probably standing around because they cannot dance or feel uncomfortable doing so.

But UNC dance enthusiasts from the Black Student Movement's Opeyo! Dancers, hip-hop dance group Kamikazi and the multigenre Mezmerhythm offer tips to anyone who wants to become a better dancer.

Junior Erika Myers, choreographer for Opeyo! Hip-Hop, said dancing in public involves a certain comfort level and confidence that comes from practice. And with all the campus groups and classes devoted to dance, Myers said there is no excuse for students who want to improve their skills.

"Funk aerobics and even P.E. classes like social dance will help build your skills and confidence," she said.

Myers said music videos showcase dance moves that can be used on the dance floor. Watching Destiny's Child or 'N Sync could provide some examples.

But Mezmerhythm choreographer Samantha Terry, a sophomore from Brooklyn, N.Y., said music videos are not the best guide because they usually contain difficult or tasteless choreography that is better left to the entertainment industry.

Terry said a simple way to learn to dance is by watching others at parties or clubs or even getting someone to offer suggestions. But practice is key and can be done in a closed setting.

"If you're really insecure about dancing in public then you may want to practice in your room, in front of a mirror with music," Terry said.

Even if this raises one's comfort level, some people still need pointers on exactly what to do during these private practice sessions.

UNC graduate Kay Ku, a choreographer for the Kamikazi dancers, said the two step is the easiest dance to learn once broken down.

"First, begin with feet together. Step to the right with the right foot then bring the left foot over to the right. Next, reverse the steps and go to the left," Ku said.

Shawn Brooks, a junior Opeyo! choreographer, said the two step must be done with arms bent and barely moving and on count.

"It's really a four-step," he said. "You move to each side in two counts within an eight-count cycle."

Brooks suggested trying out for University dance groups even without the intention of joining because the choreographers show participants a dance and then teach them how to do it.

Easy, right? Well, no.

But choreography experts say surrounding yourself in any rhythm-enhancing environment can make you a better dancer with practice.

"Watch people that are dancing at parties. Break down their moves into eight counts and then try to imitate them," Brooks said. "Eight counts establish rhythm, which is very important."

Although rhythm comes more easily for some, it seems one gender might have more rhythm than the other.

The choreographers said a general observation of most party scenes shows women dancing more often than men.

But Brooks said dancing is easier for women because they are expected to know how to dance.

"It's rare to see a little boy in ballet or tap or gymnastics lessons," he said. "That's almost taboo. They usually start sports or music instead."

Daniel Chun, a sophomore Kamikazi choreographer, suggested that some guys are afraid of looking feminine while dancing but should not hesitate to loosen up.

"Guys might be wary of using their hips, but that doesn't mean don't use them," he said.

When guys and girls get together on the dance floor, Ku said it is important to remain on the same beat.

"If you're not in rhythm with each other, then it will throw you off beat with the music," she said. "You don't have to do the same moves, but partners must stay on beat together."

Choreographers also said wallflowers should note that dancing with a partner is an act that should not offend or appall other partygoers.

"There should be a limit on how far you can take dancing," Ku said. "Groping on the dance floor is not dancing, it's foreplay."

But whether it's dirty dancing or the two step, UNC dance veterans said observation, practice and confidence can make a difference on the dance floor.

"Just take every opportunity to dance and do what comes naturally," Chun said. "Don't be scared of the people around you."

Brooks said abandoning the wallflower image and blending in with the crowd involves being secure with one's dancing abilities.

"If you look like you know what you're doing, then it will look like you can dance," he said.

"Remember to have patience though. (Dancing) is just like a sport; it takes time and practice."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.