Bond Passage Secures Music Library Plans

The Carolina Union Performing Arts Series is relocating half of its 2001-02 season due to the beginning of Memorial Hall's renovations in 2002, while the music department is awaiting confirmation for its plans to relocate the deteriorating Hill Hall Music Library.

Performances during the fall -- Bill Cosby, violinist Mark O'Connor and the opera "Cosi Fan Tutte" -- will be unaffected by the Memorial Hall renovations.

But to compensate for Memorial Hall's unavailability in the spring, Union Marketing Coordinator Jennifer Smith said the series will use other spaces -- Hill Hall Auditorium and United Methodist Church -- instead and schedule performances for multiple evenings for the foreseeable future.

Department of Music Chairman John Nadas said the department is waiting to receive a designated location from the facilities planning department to draw plans for the music library's possible future home.

The location is to be determined by the Facilities Planning Group, which allocates a "building unassigned" area designated by the amount of available land space at the University.

"All we're waiting for is the exact placement so the architect can start drawing (plans)," he said. "It's amazing. Things seem to have been extremely static.

"We thought that it would be settled at the end of the semester."

He added that the $3.1 billion higher education bond, the Master Plan and anxiety over possible cuts from the University budget have slowed the library relocation to a standstill.

The groundbreaking supposedly is planned for 2005, Nadas said, and the library will remain in the same Hill Hall location since its 1932 establishment for the foreseeable future. The current space for the music library, which extends into the basement below its "first floor," is infamous for its lack of humidity control and its tendency to flood after rain.

To prevent the damage of its internationally renowned collection, library officials have elevated shelves from the floor.

Circulation Manager Eva Boyce said the library has flooded on several occasions since the beginning of the year but the collection, worth nearly $30 million, has not been damaged. "We've been very lucky," she said.

With the funds mostly secure to spend on the project and the music department waiting for the building space, Nadas said it doesn't look like the music library will be given a high-tech relocation any time soon. "We're just waiting for the green light."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.