Construction Claims Campus Parking Spaces

Assistant Director of Parking Services Cheryl Stout said some parking spaces will be blocked off and others lost as construction continues across campus.

"Construction will have a significant impact at various points," Stout said.

According to data given by Parking Services, the areas that will be most effected by the elimination of parking spaces are the BG lot near the Bell Tower, which will lose 145 spaces, and the Cardinal Deck on Manning Drive, which will lose 70 spaces.

Stout said relatively few of the spaces being lost were student spots. "Mostly employees would be impacted," she said.

Stout said limited realty and space, combined with the University's efforts to expand the campus to accommodate more students, creates a conflict of interests when it comes to parking.

"Most universities struggle with on-campus parking," she said. "It's necessary, but you don't want the university to look like a parking lot."

She said while the University is sensitive to student transportation needs, the focus from the University's point of view is on other options than increasing available parking spaces for students.

"There is ongoing work to increase park-and-ride and all methods of free transportation," Stout said.

As the student body grows and available parking decreases, the University will make efforts to improve public transportation options such as the Point-2-Point and the recently-approved fare-free bussing for students on and off campus.

Associate Vice Chancellor of Auxiliary Services Carolyn Elfland said while most of the upcoming losses are temporary, the total number of available spaces will not increase at all over the next eight to 10 years.

"The (Master Plan) will not increase parking," Elfland said. "We're not growing parking for students or employees."

But some students said they think the University should make student spaces a higher priority.

"I couldn't get parking this year," said sophomore Brad Sain of Lincolnton. "There just isn't enough of it."

Elfland said availability of parking spaces will fluctuate as the Master Plan progresses, but could be significantly worse at times. But some students say they could live with those losses.

Senior political science major Dan Morris said, "I don't have a problem with them cutting spots if they would come up with a system that gave seniors priority, which they don't have now."

Matt Minchew can be reached at minchew@email.unc.edu.