Double Dutch: Baseball

Now that's an idea for a date.

You might get the idea that girls don't like baseball too much, what with the whole no women actually playing the game and all, but I don't think I'm the only female that really gets into it.

Summer just doesn't seem complete without baseball and all its accouterments. I mean, strapping young bucks running around in tight pants, hot dogs, sunshine and, of course, that intoxicating golden nectar.

For the price of a movie you're guaranteed at least three hours of sensory stimulation, maybe more if you're lucky enough to find your teams tied in the bottom of the ninth.

Plus, it's okay to be a glutton, because a snack-free inning is pretty close to sacrilege. I think they must put something in ballpark food - it's so darn good. In addition to all the consumption, baseball is good for society. It brings people together, you know, for the home team. In an age where loyalty is becoming more and more uncommon, it's good to see people get fired up about anything.

Baseball is also doing a really good job fighting against ageism. The oldest coots in sports (besides golf, but I don't really think that counts) can hang in this game, and it's so nice to see families all squished into the bleachers together. I think it's one of the few ways to get teenagers to venture into the parental no fly zone and for both parties to return unscathed.

My own dad is a veritable baseball-aholic, and looking back on all the games we went to as I was growing up, I'm amazed at how many hours we clocked actually talking.

Female baseball fans might not be as well versed in the statistics and logistics of the game as our male counterparts, but hey, it doesn't require testosterone to enjoy it. We get into stuff like uniforms and dippin dots a little bit more.

That can be dangerous, though. I'll never forget the day they carried my mom out of the stands stone cold unconscious with a mouth full of iced cream. Focused on her tasty treat, she never saw the ball coming.

Now, a lot of girls complain about all the scratching, spitting and general crassness that goes on at a baseball game. Well, in my opinion it's not so bad.

And come on now, the getups those poor boys wear have got to be uncomfortable. Imagine wearing something like the Madonna cone bra thing for three hours in the sweltering heat, girls. If we can just overlook the nitty gritty parts, the whole baseball experience is really fun. All that stretching and shouting is actually pretty good.

So here's to baseball - helping boys and girls play ball in the finest American tradition.

Daniele can be reached at daniele_e@hotmail.com.