Murphy, Animals Return For Gab-Fest

Eddie Murphy returns for "Dr. Dolittle 2" and proves the film's novelty lasts for a sequel to the 1998 smash.

Three of Five Stars

Talking animals are fun.

In the same way that talking babies were fun in the countless "Look Who's Talking" films, or Mel Gibson's ability to read women's thoughts was fun in "What Women Want." The list of novelties goes on indefinitely - would Paul Hogan even have a career if not for the "Oh look, an Australian! Say `mate,' say `mate!'" reaction evoked by the "Crocodile Dundee" films?

All these films are one-trick ponies, and their success relies on the mass appeal of those tricks.

So whether you enjoy "Dr. Dolittle 2" or not ultimately depends on whether you buy the film's gimmick - you either love the talking animals or you don't. If talking animals aren't your cup of tea, then this will be the one of the worst film experiences of your life.

If you do, however, you'll be rewarded. Not as handsomely rewarded as you probably were in Eddie Murphy's first "Dr. Dolittle" film, but rewarded nevertheless.

The film picks up after Dr. Dolittle (Murphy) became a doctor to animals of both the two-legged and the four-legged variety. In the time since, Dolittle's ability to talk to animals has made him both a very successful doctor and a celebrity, garnering the attention of a woodland-creature mafia who want the good doctor to save their forest from the evil white corporate leaders you see in any pseudo-environmentally conscious film.

In order to save the forest from corporate ransacking, Dolittle must make sure two bears of the same endangered species mate. The catch is that Ava (voiced by Lisa Kudrow) is at home in nature; Archie (voiced by Steve Zahn) is a circus bear.

Although the film lacks its predecessor's element of surprise, "Dr. Dolittle 2" has a few flashes of brilliance in terms of how the movie's cast of creatures is personified.

From a self-help group for stray dogs to a worldwide animal strike, the film chooses some of humanity's most quirky moments to mimic and satirize - just try listening to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" after it's been placed in the context of the endangered-species list.

Most of the actors voicing the animals are quality, although your own favorite may depend on your age bracket. Zahn's kid-pleasing performance as Archie will leave 10-year-olds rolling on the theater's floor and their parents groaning in horror. As much as Zahn can grate, Kudrow - whose film roles infinitely put Phoebe to shame - provides some refreshingly sophisticated humor.

Other highlights consist of Richard Sarafian, Michael Rapaport and Isaac Hayes' roles as members of the forest mafia.

Sarafian gives his "God Beaver" role just enough Marlon Brando to be amusing (if a little trite), and Rapaport and Hayes' roles as the God Beaver's henchmen only complement the amusement.

If only Raven Symon