Project Revamps Downtown

Amidst a sea of orange cones, fragmented concrete and a whirlwind of dust, the Public Works Department continues its current phase of the long term, multi-million dollar Streetscape project, which began nearly a decade ago and resumes each summer with a multitude of various projects.

June 4 kicked off this summer's $700,000 project which centers on improvements on the east side of N. Columbia St. between E. Franklin St. and Rosemary St.

"As in the past, we're doing most of the disruptive work at night to minimize the inconvenience," said Streetscape Coordinator Emily Cameron, an engineer with the town. "Pedestrian traffic at times has to be redirected around the active construction area," she said.

The beautification project aims to upgrade the deteriorating condition of 300 feet of sidewalks, curbs, gutters and surrounding infrastructure.

Streetlight and stoplight cables will be run through newly constructed pipes beneath the sidewalk and brick pavers will form a barrier between the sidewalk and the curb.

Streetscape will also introduce raised brick planters, new benches, bike racks, trash receptacles and kiosks.

Another improvement will involve the consolidation of the 30 newspaper racks lining N. Columbia Street, which were considered to be an eyesore to some residents and officials of the town.

"(The old newspaper racks) are detracting from the downtown area due to the litter, trash and the unsightliness and proliferation of them," said Town Council member Pat Evans.

The new racks will place free publications such as The Independent Weekly and Spectator in two town-installed modular racks along with 19 other papers.

The nine paid publications will maintain their own bins, but a planned ordinance will require the coin-operated machines to comply with town design standards.

The Streetscape project also includes 100-foot move of the bus stop, currently located mid Franklin Street, closer to the intersection with Rosemary.

This allows for better accessibility, safety and comfort, Cameron said.

The expanded space will allow for a larger bus shelter, more benches and will eliminate the grade change between the curb and the street, which had forced many riders to step in the gutter.

Following the Aug. 6 completion of the Columbia Street project, a sidewalk renovation will take place along a 65-foot stretch in front of Caffe Trio and Linda's Bar and Grill. This section should be completed by the time the fall semester opens on Aug. 21.

"People are tolerating the construction very well," said Spanky's owner Tom Herzog. "We haven't lost any business and I don't think any other area businesses have either. Of course, we will be glad when it is finished."

Emily Canaday can be reached at sundancr1@msn.com.