Area Schools Report Increased Test Scores

Reading proficiency for the district is 92 percent, up from 91 percent last year. Math scores have also increased, rising 10 percent for third-graders and with each grade showing improvements.

However, Diane Villwock, director of testing and program evaluation, warned that no solid conclusion regarding the math scores can be drawn until the N.C. Department of Public Instruction sets its final cut-offs later this year.

"I am very excited that the reading scores in grades 3, 5 and 8 have all gone up," Villwock said.

"The eighth-grade reading score for the district is 97 percent, the highest we've ever achieved."

Villwock said the schools focus more on providing specialized assistance for students in specific areas like reading skills.

"For several years there has been a rule that any student who is not proficient gets targeted attention the next year in a personalized program," Villwock said.

Director of Elementary Education and Staff Emily Bivins said having access to the University could also play a role in the rise in test scores.

"Having the University close by allows for staff and parents to have the latest access to learning and development which allows us to be on the cutting edge in curriculum," Bivins said.

"Another important factor in the successes of our schools is living in a community where many parents are professionals who have high expectations for their children."

This year's scores also indicated that the gap between black and white students has narrowed.

According to the district and school data, the reading scores for black student in grades 3 through 8 have improved to 69 percent, increasing 5 percentage points in 2001.

Bivins said much of the success of African-American students is due to staff critically looking at personal education plans and resources to make each student successful.

The district has placed a lot of emphasis and resources in trying to close the gap. They have implemented the Blue Ribbon Program as well as the Minority Student Achievement Plan, which specifically deal with African Americans, Bivins said.

Superintendent Neil Pedersen said he is encouraged by the increase.

"Our students' reading, math and writing proficiency levels have increased significantly this year," he said. "Students and their teachers are to be commended. Although we have many ambitious academic goals for our students, a minimum expectation for all students is to be proficient in these areas."

Ashley Williams can be reached at willia30@email.unc.edu.