Cartoon Wrongly Addressed Safety issues on Pine Street

It is unfortunate that The Daily Tar Heel (May 31 edition) decided to address the current development issues on Pine Street with an editorial cartoon rather than with proper investigation and an accurate representation of the facts.

The issue here is absolutely not one of family versus student. Pine Street has a large student population and we co-exist peacefully. Despite the developer's quote in a local paper, there was NEVER a sign saying "Go Home Students" or anything even referring to students.

The "No More Dorms" sign referred to "hidden dorms", an issue that was brought up by the Carrboro Board of Aldermen. Furthermore, a student tenant said the sign made her uncomfortable and it was immediately replaced.

The issues the Pine Street residents are trying to address are traffic safety, parking and noise.

If The Daily Tar Heel desires to educate its readers on what is really happening on Pine Street, come over and talk to the neighbors, all of us, families, singles and especially the students. You will have an extremely difficult time finding people to corroborate your paper's depiction of families trying to run students out of town. If you are willing to wrongfully slam the residents, you should also be willing to set the record straight.

Andreas Hay

Pine Street Resident