Hikes May Still Leave UNC Cost Low

But University officials take comfort in knowing that even if another increase is added to the 4 percent increase approved last year by the Board of Governors, UNC-Chapel Hill and other system schools would remain less expensive than peer institutions.

On the other hand, officials still want to keep any further increases to a minimum.

"The way this state will thrive is to make sure its young people become educated," said Provost Robert Shelton. "The level of state support for the universities is a critical factor for any great public University."

As state legislators attempt to work out a budget for the state in the midst of one of the worst economic downturns since the early '90s, two proposals have emerged for increasing tuition. The Senate proposal would raise tuition by an extra 5 percent for all UNC-Chapel Hill students for about a 9 percent total increase. The N.C. House of Representatives countered with a proposal to leave in-state students with no increase, but raise out-of-state students' tuition by 15 percent.

Shelton said UNC compares favorably with other public universities.

"The state has a horrible budget crisis," he said. "The state budget deficit is roughly a billion dollars. Secondly, tuition is relatively low here."

North Carolina's student enrollment costs in public universities are second-lowest in the nation, according to a Pope Center for Higher Education Policy research paper.

Under the Senate proposal, UNC-Chapel Hill tuition and fees would total $3,219, still the lowest among the 17 universities classified as its peer institutions.

But students are still concerned about the possibility of tuition costs rising.

Student Body President Justin Young said he has been lobbying state legislators to minimize the increase. He also sent an e-mail to the entire student body to inform them of the proposals and suggest they call their representatives.

"Everybody's doing comparison, especially in terms of rate of increase," Young said. "A lot of schools across the nation are increasing their tuition into the double-digit percent rate. But ultimately, the state of North Carolina has prided itself on affordable access to education.

"We are the leaders of that, and I don't think that's something we should sacrifice. It's important to be a little bit more creative in dealing with the budget situation."

Young said he feels it is important to prevent a further tuition increase.

"We're trying to take as much of an active role in the tuition fight as we can," he said.

Shelton said he hopes the legislature will recognize the importance of low tuition to UNC's continued position as a superior institution.

"Traditionally, North Carolinians have been very supportive of their universities -- look at the bond issue last November," Shelton said. "You would hope the legislators would reflect that level of support and that priority.

"We wouldn't want to see that end because of a temporary budget crisis."

Amy Fulk, a spokeswoman for N.C. Senate President Pro Tempore Marc Basnight, said legislators understand the importance of affordable quality higher education.

"We're doing everything we can to keep education affordable," Fulk said.

"Of course it is a very tight budget, and there are some tough decisions ahead."

Shelton said another problem with the proposals is that they could go into effect as soon as this fall, handing students higher bills than they might be expecting.

"The suddenness of the proposed increase really doesn't allow students and parents to plan," Shelton said. "So even if one were to argue that the overall number is still reasonable, the short notice is a serious factor."

Young urged legislators to look for alternative measures for dealing with the tight budget.

"What is being proposed is very damaging to higher education in the state," Young said. "It closes doors to what the state could become."

Geoff Wessel can be reached

at vrooom@email.unc.edu.