McCain Explores Love for Jesus

Less touchy-feely and hokey than McCain's earlier hits, 'Solitude,' 'I'll Be' and 'Could Not Ask For More,' Far From Over's title track is still one of those let?s-not-lose-this-relationship kind of tunes to which McCain owes his entire musical career.

But unlike the aforementioned love songs, Far From Over won't make you want to cry like a teenybopper without her Justin Timberlake.

Catchy and even downright happy at times, Far From Over is a refreshing step away from the tormented lover/artist McCain reflects.

It's a welcome change, since the 'tortured artist' routine never fit McCain well anyway.

Sticking with the love song theme, McCain teamed up with Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter Shawn Colvin for two of the album's tunes, 'Hearts Fall' and 'Write Me A Song.'

While 'Hearts Fall' is a nice little play-it-loud-with-the-windows-down ditty you'll find yourself subconsciously singing along with, 'Write Me A Song' veers back toward McCain's earlier days of chick-rock mushiness.

'And now write me a song/ One that makes all the girls cry/ And the old women swoon/ At the sound of my tune/ And the hearts of the lonely will fly', he sings. Um ... yeah ... gag.

However, McCain redeems himself with the subsequent track 'Get Out of This Town,' in which he pumps out some pretty decent rock (slightly) reminiscent of Aerosmith or a sweaty Garth Brooks, depending on how you look at it - think 1993?s 'Fever' by Brooks.

McCain goes on to poke fun at the institution of rock 'n' roll and all that comes with it on 'Radio Star.' Though the song comes across as somewhat cheesy, McCain effectively disses Britney Spears, Fred Durst and the rumors that tend to be spread about the famous.

'I'm the radio star with the car and the clothes/ The fancy guitars and the spoon in my nose/ You know in my world now anything goes/ You all want to be me, and I'll be gone in a week,' he sings.

The only real downer about Far From Over is its concluding song, ' Jesus, He Loves Me.'

Forgive my cynical attitude, but McCain's godliness seems oxymoronic at best.

The swearing, smoking, road-weary rock star hidden behind McCain's lyrical Casanova facade is probably one of the last people on Jesus' list of folks to love.

But hey, who am I to question Jesus? I guess that if you think you've got the love, roll with it - perhaps you're paying your dues in some way I haven't heard of yet.

Sarah Kucharski can be reached at micro_kitty@hotmail.com.