UNC System Joins National SAT Debate

The N.C. General Assembly passed a July 19 bill to look at emphasis on test scores in UNC-system admissions.

The N.C. General Assembly passed a bill July 19 requiring the UNC system to not only study the admission tests but also to consider other means of gauging student performance than standardized tests.

Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, said the bill passed easily.

"I don't know of any opposition," Insko said. "I think that the Board of Governors would consider it anyway."

She said the bill reflects a nationwide questioning of the SAT's effectiveness.

"There is so much national discussion on whether the SAT is the best predictor of success in college and how much weight should be given to SATs as opposed to other measures," Insko said.

But UNC-Chapel Hill Director of Undergraduate Admissions Jerry Lucido said that while a study will be performed to evaluate admissions measures, he is in favor of keeping the SAT a part of the University's admissions process.

"I don't anticipate that we'll stop using the SAT in our decisions," he said. "I don't know of any good admissions office that would not rather use the SAT instead of not using it."

Provost Robert Shelton said the SAT's effectiveness should be examined, but he said SAT scores are already not the only measures UNC uses.

"We've always used more than just SAT scores," Shelton said. "Even with the huge number of applications, it's a very personal experience here at Carolina."

Lucido said he wants to continue using the SAT because it is a valuable measure of a student's reasoning skill. "The SAT is a good exam because it goes beyond curriculum," he said.

The bill also suggests that UNC-system schools "review incorporating the State's testing program into admissions" using state End of Grade tests for admissions.

But Lucido said the EOGs are inappropriate for this kind of use.

"(EOGs) are intended to determine minimal competence," he said. "I don't anticipate using End of Grade exams for admissions, at least any time soon.

"They are not in shape to determine college admissions."

Lucido added that the bill is unnecessary, in his opinion, because his office constantly strives to meet its own standard of quality.

"We don't need the legislature to ensure that our practices are good ones," he said.

But Shelton said the bill could be helpful. "This bill doesn't say we will make a change," he said. "It says we'll study it."

Although Lucido does not anticipate the study resulting in any major changes, he said the bill reflects a well-meaning legislature.

"I'm not sure we need it, but the legislators who passed it were interested in all students being able to go to school, and we agree with that," he said.

Emma Merritt can be reached

at ecmerrit@email.unc.edu.