Waldrop Appointed By BOG

"I am very excited about coming back to UNC," Waldrop said. "First of all, it is a great institution. And secondly, it's a place I have a lot of great memories of."

Waldrop, who holds three UNC degrees, is now vice chancellor for research at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

He said his experience at Illinois would serve him well at UNC. "I've dealt with some of the same issues, looking at technology transformation, research park activities and new research into genomics and protonomics."

Provost Robert Shelton said he is pleased by Board of Governors Personnel and Tenure Committee's approval last week of Waldrop's appointment, which will begin in mid-August.

"We had a number of excellent finalists for the position, and (Waldrop) was an overwhelming first choice," Shelton said. "We're just thrilled that we can bring him here. I think he'll be terrific."

Shelton said UNC will have a wide variety of research opportunities in the years ahead, with studies of the human genome among the most highly visible research projects.

"There are just so many things going on on the campus," he said. "The new positions associated with the genomics initiative are a good example. They're not only in the biological sciences: there are positions in the physical sciences, computer science, the law school and the business school. What that initiative shows is that we need to draw on all of our disciplines here."

He said the range of research going on at UNC is among the University's strengths as a research institution.

"One of the keys to Carolina's greatness in the area of scholarship is the breadth of high-quality research," Shelton said. "It's a highly competitive world."

Waldrop also said he sees the position as an important one for the University.

"It is an important post, first of all, because research is one of the key ingredients on campus, given the amount of research expenditures," he said. "It's one of the three main missions of the University, along with education and public service."

The proposed Horace Williams Master Plan, which would direct future construction on the University's nearby Horace Williams property, includes extensive plans for research-oriented development of the tract. Waldrop said he is enthusiastic about the possibility of expanding UNC's research facilities.

"I would like to see growth in the arena," Waldrop said. "I'm delighted to be coming back now because of both the quality of the University and also as someone who trained at UNC, and now will be able to contribute to UNC."

Geoff Wessel can be reached at vrooom@email.unc.edu.