Aldermen OK Pine Street's Block Party

The Carrboro board approved the event, which will take place Nov. 7, in hopes it will improve strained relations in the area.

After listening to comments from residents and landlords, the Carrboro Board of Aldermen gave the Pine Street Homeowners' Committee the go-ahead Tuesday for a neighborhood block party scheduled for Nov. 7.

The event, which will close the street from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., was proposed as a way to rebuild relationships between long-term homeowners, landlords and renters.

The demand for on-campus housing this year exceeded the University's available spots, landing many students in residential communities like Pine Street and aggravating an already sore situation.

Tensions mounted this summer when several residents made a formal complaint to the board, asking it to review development ordinances affecting the community.

Officials said the party is the first step in smoothing out conflicts.

"I hope folks make a genuine effort to meet each other halfway," said Carrboro Mayor Mike Nelson.

"Tonight's discussion symbolizes that this kind of thing is needed."

The committee's plans sparked criticism from some landlords who say the party is not the right solution for the neighborhood's disputes.

"To ask people to socialize with people who slander them is unreasonable," said Armin Leith, a landlord.

"My family and my tenants want to be left alone and have an end to this controversy."

In Tuesday's hearing, Leith cited an "atmosphere of hostility" from residents toward his student tenants. He said his tenants had been subjected to protesting residents when they moved into the community.

But Margaret Pendzich, a Pine Street resident, spoke at the hearing and said the issue does not center on students but on the way property in the neighborhood was developed.

"Students are great neighbors," Pendzich said. "It's never been an issue between residents and students.

"The issue is that the zoning allows for this kind of development, and we would like to refine (the zoning)."

L.P. Thomas, a Pine Street resident, said the neighborhood is not angry about student residents.

"We're not concerned with the people but the structure of the housing," he said. "It has to do with how the property is used."

Alderman Alex Zaffron said he wants the dispute to be settled as soon as possible.

"This sort of personal back and forth is disgusting," Zaffron said. "People need to try to communicate and remember that it's a two-way street."

Keith Stallings, a Pine Street property owner, said the block party could help ease tensions if the event was held annually.

"A one-shot deal will not do any good because of all the new tenants moving in," Stallings said.

"But if the college students could get to know the families that live there, it would be a success."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.