Candidates Prepare for Upcoming Local Election

A Nov. 6 election date looms ahead as candidates hustle to get their platforms together for several local government positions.

Twenty-one candidates filed by the Aug. 3 deadline as candidates for one of the nine seats on either the Chapel Hill Town Council or Carrboro Board of Aldermen that are up for grabs this year.

Five seats are open on the Town Council, including the mayor's seat.

Town Council members Lee Pavao and Kevin Foy are running for mayor. Also in the race is Cam Hill, a self-employed Chapel Hill resident.

Mayor Rosemary Waldorf opted not to run for re-election this year, citing family reasons. "It's not because I'm burned out," she said. "It's not because I don't like it anymore. It's not because of the University issues.

"I'm ready to move onto something different. I'm going to be looking for a full-time job and ... it just can't work for me to have a full-time job and be mayor and be a mom."

Waldorf's new interests combined with Foy and Pavao's decision to run for mayor and Joyce Brown's failure to file by the Aug. 3 deadline have left four seats available on the Town Council for this year's election.

Council member Edith Wiggins is the only incumbent candidate.

Nine new faces also are seeking the four open seats -- Dorothy Verkerk, Mark Kleinschmidt, Lisa Everett, Diana VandenBroek, Bob Reda, Larry Daquioag, Richard Giersch, Ed Harrison and D.R. Bryan.

Verkerk is an art professor at UNC and Kleinschmidt was UNC's speaker of Congress for the 1999-2000 year.

Some candidates cite the Master Plan, UNC's 50-year blueprint for campus growth, as a major issue for the town to focus on.

In Carrboro, incumbent Mayor Mike Nelson is seeking re-election against Stacy Smith. Six candidates are running for the three open seats on the Carrboro Board of Aldermen. Incumbents Jacquelyn Gist, Diana McDuffee and Allen Spalt are running again. Also running are candidates Stephanie Padilla, John Herrera and Jim Porto. Some candidates cite Carrboro's vision for the future as a major issue.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.