Coverage of Helms and Dole Unbalanced, DTH Needs to Turn it Around

I am disappointed in your coverage of Sen. Jesse Helms' retirement speech. You did not present a balanced report of Helms' contributions to national foreign and domestic policy.

Yes, Sen. Helms voted against many bills that reflected the knee-jerk sentiments of the day, thereby earning the nickname "Senator No." However, you did not mention his other nickname, "The Conscience of the Senate."

Ask yourselves, do you want a congressman who every day wets his finger and tests the winds of public opinion to see which way he or she should vote?

I believe that principled individuals make better leaders than those lacking spines, and the commitment to principles is arguably the hallmark of Sen. Helms' career.

Next time, please report the facts and leave the analysis to your editorial staff.

Additionally, you tagged Elizabeth Dole as the wife of Bob Dole on the front page, but waited until page 9 to mention that Elizabeth Dole was a former presidential candidate and failed to mention that she was also the head of the Red Cross.

I hope this is not an omen of things to come this year for the DTH; it is not too late to turn it around.

Matthew Woolley

Graduate Student in Economics