DTH Online Revitalized

No, this was not some Code Red worm, Y2K+1 bug, or related internet catastrophe.

On June 13, The Daily Tar Heel changed service providers for the paper's online edition.

While this may not mean much to the average Daily Tar Heel Online visitor, this is an incredible opportunity for us to better our Web site.

Even though the new Web site may not appear significantly different than the old version, our new provider offers us many new exciting and useful features.

For instance, you can now click on our photos and graphics to see a larger image than what appears in the story.

The crosswords and cartoons are also clickable and can be printed from the Web site the same size as they appear in the print version.

Another one of the more useful features is the feedback form. On any given story, you may send your comments, opinions, and complaints to us through an automated form. We can then use your feedback to better our site.

Also, if you give us your e-mail address, we have a service that will help you keep up with the news without picking up a paper.

However, the transition did have some drawbacks. Due to the shift of service providers, Heelmail, the e-mail server featured on the previous DTH site, will no longer be available on dailytarheel.com.

Gregg Stearns, product specialist for Digital Partners and contact liaison for the DTH, said it is not yet known if users could obtain saved e-mail messages from USA Mail, the company that provided Heelmail on the old site. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The DTH wishes for the transition to the new site to be as smooth as possible. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the new site or its new features, please e-mail Online Editor Catherine Liao at liao@email.unc.edu.