Freshman Class Largest in University History

Composed of almost 3,650 students, this year's class of freshmen boasts the highest average SAT score ever.

This year's freshman class is the largest in UNC's history, with a total enrollment of almost 3,650 students.

It also has the distinction of producing the highest average SAT score and an increase in minority student enrollment.

"This was the first year that we were participating in the enrollment growth anticipated by the university system in the state," said Jerome Lucido, associate provost and director of undergraduate admissions.

The University accepted 6,341 of the 16,707 students who applied for admission, but Lucido said the admissions office had anticipated only having about 3,500 freshmen choose to attend UNC.

"Because of the popularity of Carolina and stronger recruiting and because of an economy that had parents looking at the bottom line, we had a very high yield rate," Lucido said.

These factors also gave the admissions office a larger pool of applicants to choose from, allowing officials to be more selective.

The average SAT score for this year's freshman class is estimated to be 1256, five points higher than any of the previous freshman classes.

"For three consecutive years, we've had an applicant pool that was the strongest," Lucido said.

"I don't know if we can keep it up, but I hope we can."

Elizabeth Sonntag, a freshman from Cary, said she thinks it's a little intimidating to be part of UNC's smartest class.

"It makes me pretty nervous," she said. "I'm nervous I won't excel as much and that I won't stand out as much as in high school."

The proportion of enrolled minority students also has increased with this year's freshman class -- a conscious decision on the part of the admissions office.

"We've been interested in increasing the presence of minority students for a number of years," Lucido said.

He said the admissions office engaged a joint recruitment program with the Office of Minority Affairs to attract minority students who would be successful at UNC.

These efforts brought the percentage of black freshmen up to 12 percent, a move that freshman Lakeshia Pridgen said might put some people at ease.

"I think it's great because there are so many Caucasians on campus that that's all you see," said Pridgen, a black student from Whiteville.

"There will be people feeling more comfortable on campus."

But Lucido said the most impressive characteristic of the freshman class is its ability to be both the biggest and the best.

"It's traditionally believed to be hard to grow a class at the same time as having higher quality."