House: Judgeship Ballot No Longer to List Party

The legislation passed the House 54-52. The bill was also approved by the N.C. Senate. It will now return to the Senate, where changes made in the House will be examined.

Sen. Walter Dalton, D-Rutherford, who sponsored the bill, said he proposed the change because he thinks the judicial system should be separated from politics as much as possible.

"The test of a judicial candidate should be that they will be fair and honest and will render a fair and honest decision," he said. "A few years ago we passed a bill that Superior Court races would be nonpartisan. It seems appropriate and consistent that we do the same (in this case)."

In 1996, the N.C. General Assembly passed a bill requiring candidates for N.C. Superior Court judgeships to run nonpartisan campaigns.

Sen. Dan Clodfelter, D-Mecklenburg, said the bill shifts the emphasis from party politics to the qualities important for judges, such as neutrality.

"I think the bill will benefit (the public) because what you need from a judge are not the qualities you need from a legislator or governor," he said. "Those aren't the things the you need from a judge."

But House Minority Leader Rep. Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston, said the bill will have a negative effect on elections because the lack of partisan candidates will make it easier for special interest groups to get the candidates they support elected.

"(Parties are necessary) because that's how you screen the candidates," he said. "The party has the mechanisms to get the best candidates before the voters."

Without party support, judges will have to find alternative methods of financing their campaigns. Candidates for judgeships have received an increasing number of campaign contributions in recent years.

Dalton said he expects candidates to continue raising money on their own.

"They go out and raise the money," he said. "If a candidate wants to advertise his or her party label he has a right."

But the bill would not completely excise political parties from the campaign process.

Clodfelter said that while he expects the individual candidates to continue working to raise money for themselves, parties will still be involved.

"Political parties can make contributions to (candidates for judge) just like any other candidate," he said.

But Dalton said he thinks the the bill would benefit voters most because it will force candidates to interact with the people they serve.

"I think (the bill) will be successful with voters," he said. "There will be a greater incentive for judicial candidates to get out and know the people rather than rely on a party label."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.