LGBT Resource Center Needed on Campus, Homophobia Still Exists

While one could probably write volumes about the ignorance displayed in Jon Harris' column, "No Special Attention," I'll try just to hit the main points.

First of all, I'm glad to hear that Mr. Harris thinks that MTV "commercial spots and specials" has taught the straight community all that it needs to know about "issues that affect homosexuals."

I suppose that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students on this campus who are going through the myriad challenges of coming out in the South need only turn on MTV to comfort, support and aid them.

Moreover, Mr. Harris argues that an LGBT resource center will be "use(d) as a soapbox to lecture the Christian fundamentalist right for disagreeing with their lifestyle." And?

The last time I checked, there were a multitude of religious groups with their own buildings on campus, the purpose of which are to put forward an ideology. What's wrong with supporting the establishment of a center that will present a contradictory philosophy?

Finally, Mr. Harris displays the ultimate ignorance when he asks the rhetorical question of "does the need really exist for a center that will coordinate," the goals of, "calling on people to have a more tolerant attitude toward those with a different sexuality?" Yes, there is.

I challenge Mr. Harris to walk into any Greek organization on this campus and come out saying that he saw or heard no displays of homophobia while there. (We'll forget about the religious organizations to which he himself alludes.)

More importantly, however, is the fact that throughout his column, Mr. Harris has completely ignored the good that an LGBT resource center will do lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students on this campus.

Rather than discuss such a center's ability to aid people in coming out of the closet to support them when their friends desert them, or comfort them when their families disown them,

Mr. Harris seems content only to discuss how such a center will affect him -- by "calling on people to have a more tolerant attitude toward those with a different sexuality."

I suppose that MTV just wasn't very good at teaching Mr. Harris to have any sympathy.

Fred Hashagen

Junior, Political Science and Philosophy