Morrison Resident Falls Victim to Peeping Tom

Junior Scott Desmond McCann was arrested Thursday for videotaping a female Morrison resident while she was showering.

The victim called University police at about 9:30 a.m. Thursday and reported that McCann entered her bathroom while she was showering and immediately left when she saw him.

According to police reports, the victim said McCann soon returned and held a video camera over the top of her shower curtain. The female student said that after she discovered the camera and screamed, McCann ran out of the bathroom and down the stairs. He was quickly apprehended outside in the Point-2-Point parking lot next to the residence hall.

McCann confessed to the crime after being detained on a misdemeanor charge of secret peeping, according to police reports. He received a $500 unsecured bond and has a trial date set for Sept. 10.

Capt. Mark McIntyre of University Police Investigations said the incident was most likely not a premeditated crime. "I believe it was like an opportunity-type crime," he said. "The (bathroom) door was open, and he decided to peep."

University Police Chief Derek Poarch said incidents similar to Thursday's are not common occurrences, although they still happen too often. "I would say we have probably several times a year reports of this nature," Poarch said.

But Poarch added that Thursday's crime was not in the same league as other sex incidents on campus. "This particular type of case is a rarity on this campus," he said.

Poarch said the easiest way to prevent these types of crimes in the future is for students to be more cautious when allowing people into their residence halls, especially when they're not sure whether the person lives there.

Maj. Jeff McCracken also encourages students to monitor traffic in and out of their residence halls. "Sometimes people feel inhibited about that because they wonder, `Well what if they have a legitimate reason to be here?'" he said.

Both Poarch and McCracken advise students to report any suspicious activity to a resident assistant or University police.

Poarch said, "It starts at the front door of the building with letting people in."