Plans in Place to Expand Planetarium Resources

Ideas for expansion of Morehead Planetarium's facilities are gaining momentum, but the project is pending the approval of a grant from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

UNC officials are eager to begin a six- to eight-month architectural planning session for the proposed Morehead Science Discovery and Outreach Center, an interactive science museum that would update the planetarium's current resources.

Morehead Center Director Holden Thorp said he expects Congress to approve a more than $1 million contribution from NASA in October, which would allow more specific plans for the future center. "When the federal budget is signed, this story will get more concrete," he said.

Thorp said the overarching mission of the projected center, which, Thorp said, will take about five years to complete, is to expand its outreach by creating an overall representation of UNC science.

He said resources now limit the planetarium's appeal, attracting mainly visiting elementary school students and astronomy students. "We want people to understand the quality of the research we're doing here," Thorp said.

The main component of the project will be a new dome theater with digital capabilities and will also display interactive exhibits featuring frequently updated UNC research developments. Officials haven't yet decided if the building will replace the planetarium or complement it, but grounds behind the Morehead Building will provide room for any needed expansion.

Undergraduate Admissions Director Jerry Lucido, who serves on the project's steering committee, said the new Morehead Center could be an enticing way to introduce prospective students to UNC. "What we really are developing in the long run is a way ... to introduce people in a comprehensive manner," he said.

Thorp said other planned components include a Web-based center and new mobile laboratories. The buses would be an expansion of the already-functioning Destiny bus, which travels across the country bringing science education to communities. The units would be more specific to UNC science programs.

Thorp said he hopes architectural sketches will be ready by April so construction can begin. "With people from the University driving the content of (the project), it could have the newest kind of knowledge in it."