Republican Party Not the Party of the "Old South," Democrats Had Big Role

Liberals love to associate right-wing Republicans, such as Jesse Helms, with the racism and bigotry of the Old South.

In her Aug. 24 column, Rachel Hockfield, in her indignant, arrogant tone implied that Jesse Helms, for 30 years, has preserved our "voting tradition as racist, sexist, uneducated nationalists who tote guns alongside Bibles." She also implied that Helms, throughout his senate career, has maintained "our post-Civil War mentality."

However, we should remember the case of the S.C. statehouse and the Confederate flag that was raised over its dome.

S.C. Sen. Fritz Hollings, a Democrat, raised that flag years ago when he was governor of the state.

But do you think the media, when he retires, will proclaim a "new era" for the Democratic Party, one free from the legacy of the Old South, as it has for the Republican Party? No!

What about Sen. Robert Byrd, a Democrat of West Virginia? He used to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan and was paid to recruit for it.

It was Al Gore's dad, Sen. Albert Gore Sr., also a Democrat, who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

In truth, the percentage of Republican senators who voted for the Civil Rights Act was greater than that of Democrat senators who voted for it.

It's always very convenient for a liberal to trash a conservative by calling him a racist. Isn't that what we always hear from the media?

We never hear of racist liberals or Democrats. However, as you can see, the Republican Party is not the party of the Old South.

Historically, it has been the Democratic Party that has worked to preserve the Old South's legacy of racism and bigotry.

Neil Stauffer

Senior, Peace, War and Defense