Speech Focuses on G-8 Protesters

John Cox spoke out against some policies of the G-8 nations and described the protests against them.

John Cox, who is spending a year in Germany doing research for his Ph.D. in history, told UNC students in a speech Tuesday night that policies formed by the G-8 help industrialized countries grow richer at the expense of Third World nations.

"The G-8 is a meeting of the seven leading industrialized nations," Cox said. "There's been a growing movement against these organizations who operate on behalf of the capitalist powers."

Leaders of these nations, such as President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, insist that policies such as free trade benefit the entire world. But Cox said that when 40 percent of Africans are malnourished and 3.5 billion people around the world survive on less than $2 a day, something is wrong.

"Bush probably doesn't read a whole lot of books or anything, but I think he used to play baseball, so he should have a grasp of statistics," Cox said.

He said programs such as the reduction of social spending allowances, elimination of regulations on foreign corporations and increased interest rates lead to higher educational and medical fees, sweatshops and unemployment of small business owners, respectively.

"Impoverishment and misery has increased as a result of the policies of the G-8, World Bank and (International Monetary Fund)," Cox said.

The movement began with a demonstration at a 1999 IMF meeting in Seattle, Cox said. The protesters were successful in shutting down the meeting, leading Blair to call them a "traveling anarchist circus."

Smaller protests have occurred across the globe in the two years since Seattle, but none have been on the scale of the Genoa protest, Cox said.

"(Genoa) was a very positive, very spirited demonstration which will hopefully help the movement," Cox said. He said that although most protesters arrived planning to abstain from violence, helicopters dropped tear gas on them, and members of the Italian media were arrested and beaten while encamped in tents after the protest ended.

On the second day of the protest, one Italian man was killed in scuffles with the police, which changed the mood of the protesters, Cox said. "I'll emphasize that 95 percent of the protesters were dedicated to civil disobedience and nonviolence."

Cox said he was angered that media coverage of the event centered on the violence and street fighting instead of the issues. "What took place that weekend was distorted and misrepresented," he said. "The media won't treat you well no matter what, but by being violent you make it easier on them."

Students United for a Responsible Global Environment, who sponsored the speech, plans to continue the fight by attending a protest against the IMF and World Bank in late September. The protesters will adopt a nonviolent attitude but must be prepared to defend themselves if necessary, Cox said.

"We shouldn't take too much solace in our First Amendment rights here."

Scott O'Day, a sophomore from Waynesville, said he enjoyed the speech and found Cox's perspective important. "He saw this firsthand, which is really important to us since mainstream media has distorted this kind of thing."