Stop Complaining About Tuition Increases, Many Programs Need Help

In your recent editorials in the Aug. 21 issue of The Daily Tar Heel concerning state legislators and the new tuition increases, I believe that you have not reported the full story to the campus community.

This summer I was fortunate to experience a summer in Raleigh with several state senators. For three months, I spent my entire time and energy working to save social programs that would be cut without a tax increase or cuts from other institutions, such as the UNC system. Imagine being born deaf and having no school to attend or not receiving the early intervention treatment you deserve because the state was victim of natural disasters and several court cases, not to mention decreasing revenue.

I am a student who has worked hard for the past three years to receive my UNC diploma this May. Each semester I have worked more than one job and without any help, I have paid my way through college thanks to student aid and scholarships.

However, I can't pick up the DTH every day and read about how Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange, is trying to singlehandedly increase tuition.

I applaud Sen. Lee and his colleagues for saving the schools for the deaf and numerous other social programs.

It's our responsibility to pick up the slack that our beloved state has given to each and every one of us. Whether you are in state or out of state, you picked this grand University for a reason. The University will continue to be "a University of the people," and as North Carolinians (even if it is only four years) we must work to make our state better and stand up for those less fortunate.

So, suck it up and pay the 9 percent. It will be worth it in the long run for everyone.

Talley Sergent

Senior, Journalism and Mass Communication