Wireless Network To Include More Of UNC Campus

Vice Chancellor for Information Technology Marian Moore thinks that UNC's campus could be completely wireless in five years.

Wireless zones recently have been extended to cover campus and Franklin Street, and wireless Internet access cards will be sold this year in the RAM Shop for the first time.

The RAM Shop's $150 sticker price is cheaper than what most other retail stores might charge for similar technology.

The cards can be installed by students themselves, but next year wireless Internet access cards will be standard equipment on all laptops purchased through the Carolina Computing Initiative.

Marian Moore, vice chancellor for information technology, said wireless technology will improve the quality of computing on campus. "If you need a computer for course work, you need access to that computer 24 hours a day," Moore said. "Your office includes the classroom, dorm, coffee shop and Lenoir."

Beginning with last year's incoming class, each freshman is required to purchase a laptop computer in accordance with CCI.

The program, envisioned by the late Chancellor Michael Hooker, aims to enhance education by keeping the University technologically competitive while reducing costs, Moore said.

The integration of wireless Internet connections began last year when access boxes were installed in the Pit and some classrooms, allowing laptop users with wireless cards to log on. Students could borrow the cards, which connect to laptops and receive radio waves from the access boxes, from various places on campus.

This year, access boxes have been placed to serve more of the campus, including almost every classroom building and parts of Franklin Street. "You could be sitting in Ye Olde Waffle Shop and be connected to the Internet," Moore said.

Moore said she thinks the entire campus could be wireless within five years.

Wireless technology has already been utilized in some classes, such as Chemistry 11 and some freshman English classes. When all undergraduates own laptops in two years, more classes will use the technology, Moore said.

More than 20 percent of this year's freshmen purchased wireless cards.

The price of the CCI laptops should remain constant despite the installation of wireless cards because of other technological changes to the computers, Moore said. One such change is the elimination of disk drives in favor of high-capacity memory keys, which hold more than five times the information of a regular diskette.

Moore said the wireless technology is cost effective for the University. For example, the low cost of an access box installed in a classroom compared to the price of desktops with Ethernet ports will allow UNC to give more financial aid to students to offset the cost of the CCI laptops. "It's going to save the University a lot of money while actually providing better access," Moore said. "Wireless is happening big time."