Damage Will Be Fixed Before ECU Game

The most serious problem in and around Kenan Stadium is a goalpost that was torn down by students who rushed the field after UNC's upset of Florida State University, said Mike Bunting, director of Kenan Stadium and football facilities.

But Bunting said the cost of fixing the post was less than it might have been because students did not uproot the goalpost completely.

Athletic Communications Director Steve Kirschner said the goalpost is built to withstand large amounts of pressure but that 40 minutes of constant pressure hurt its structural stability.

The post is anchored 6 to 8 feet deep in cement, and the gooseneck -- the underground part of the goalpost -- is located in a steel sleeve inside the cement. Students bent the gooseneck above the sleeve, and the extent of any underground damage has not been determined.

Bunting said the crossbar of the goalpost is detached from the gooseneck, and one of the uprights -- the vertical parts of the goalpost -- is snapped.

Despite these damages, Bunting said he is confident the stadium will be fixed in time for the next home football game against East Carolina University, which is less than two weeks away.

Bunting said although the goalpost is not repairable, the school has a contractual agreement with Merchants Environmental Industries, the Chicago-based manufacturing company that installed UNC's goalposts.

"The goalpost is obviously the most serious thing," he said. "If the company that installs the goalpost cannot, or will not, replace it within the next two weeks, there are other companies that will. But the company has assured me that they will replace the goalpost by Oct. 6, and I have every confidence that they will."

The goalpost would cost $11,500 to replace, but the company will replace the post free of charge because it is fully insured, Kirschner said.

The goalpost will probably be shipped from Chicago, and the company will rent equipment locally to dig the old post out of the ground and put the new one in, Bunting said. The exact date of the arrival and installation of the new post has not been set.

Other than tearing down the post, fans caused minor damage to the rest of the field when they rushed out of their seats after the game, Bunting said.

Fans pulled up chunks of turf in 60 to 80 locations, damaged the fence around the field, trampled 25 to 30 bushes and bent 6 bleacher seat backs.

Dominic Morelli, the football team's equipment manager, estimated that it will cost up to $2,500 for the minor repairs. Funds will come from the Kenan Stadium account.