Graduate Student Notes Lack of Water Fountains In University Stadium

First I would like to congratulate Coach Bunting and the Tar Heels on crushing the Seminoles last Saturday. I was proud to be at the game cheering on my team. However, I found what I believe is a serious problem at Kenan Stadium. On my way to my seat I had difficulty locating a water fountain. An usher informed that there was one between sections 119 and 120. I looked by those sections but still could not find a water fountain.

At this point, I could not believe that there was no public access to water except for the overpriced bottled water for $2.50.

I went back to the stadium Sunday to thoroughly search for a water fountain. I did find the elusive fountain near sections 119 and 120, but it was not working and was filled with leaves, dirt and dead bugs. On the lower level of the stadium, I found four water fountains, one on each corner of the field. None of these were working. The only working fountains I found were a group of four in the concourse area. I find these conditions outrageous in a stadium that seats 60,000 people, especially when temperatures flirted with 90 degrees on Saturday. I hope that the stadium officials will fix the water fountains that are already in place and add more accessible fountains. I for one cannot afford to pay for water that should be readily available and will be boycotting the concession stands.

Neil Vogeley

Graduate Student

Chemistry