Graduate Student Wants Public to be Conscious of Nation's Recent Actions

President George W. Bush responded to the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon with words of resolve.

He would "make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them," said Bush.

Since this announcement, federal investigators have found that two men suspected of participating in the hijacking attended flight school in Florida, where Bush's brother, Jeb Bush, is now governor.

Is President Bush planning to pit the full force of U.S. military might against his brother?

Should Gov. Bush and Florida civilians gird themselves for U.S. air strikes in retaliation for the harboring of two men linked to last week's attacks?

Of course not. And Gov. Bush and President Bush are, after all, brothers.

My statement is not meant to convey callousness toward the victims, which include friends, families, loved ones and myself.

I too am a U.S. citizen and consider myself a target of these attacks.

It is almost certain that thousands of U.S. civilians perished on Sept. 11, and it feels as though we are rushing toward war. A war in which huge numbers of civilians, perhaps more than the United States lost in this past week, could die.

Now Secretary of State Colin Powell is negotiating with Pakistan to prepare for a potential strike against Afghanistan, where prime suspect Osama bin Laden operates.

As Powell presses for cooperation from other sovereign nations that do not share our interests or points of view, I hope that as the full story unfolds, the people and leaders of the United States scrutinize carefully your response to these recent acts of terror and the consequences to our actions.

Gretchen Decker
Park Fellow
School of Journalism and Mass Communication