Guest Columnist Doesn't Realize the Context of Palestinians' Response

I am writing in response to Ms. Mancuso's article: "Hard Lessons From the Cruelest Teacher: What Have We Learned" that ran in Monday's Daily Tar Heel.

Ms. Mancuso writes, "Let's be honest. It is sickening to watch Palestinians celebrating in the streets with their kids cheering and smiling. ... I am enraged to see such vile disregard for the sanctity of life, I am also grieved to see Palestinian children who have been taught to hate Americans."

As an American who lived for 18 years in the Middle East, mainly in the country of Jordan, which is over 60 percent Palestinian, it disappoints me to see a grievous misrepresentation of the Palestinian people by American media.

I have two thoughts on the above-mentioned quote.

First, one snapshot of some Palestinians celebrating does not mean that all (or even most) Palestinians feel pleased at the American tragedy.

Secondly, it is important to consider the reason this picture of Palestinians has been shown all over the world. One country in particular has a vested interest in portraying Palestinians as animals and terrorists.

This country (not the United States) would like people to believe that Palestinians "disregard the sanctity of life" so that they might continue to expand and take over Palestinian lands.

And finally I would offer that if some nations are not as upset over the tragedy as we feel they ought to be, it is because of years and years of these tragedies being experienced in their own backyards.

Many people in other nations fear everyday that their mother, daughter or brother may be killed. They also fear bombings, death and injustice everyday.

So it is not that they don't care, it is that they are so familiar with injustice and terror that it is not so unusual to them as it is to us.

Nadia Rhodes
Senior
Psychology and Information Systems