Officials Address State's Safety Concerns

All exits to and from Fort Bragg were blocked Wednesday. Personnel entering the base had their cars and belongings searched before admittance.

Vicki Bailey, a transfusion supervisor at Womack Army Medical Center in Fort Bragg, said she spent four hours in traffic to get to work.

"I agree with everything being done, but it's just unreal," she said.

Schools statewide did not change schedules.

Vanessa Jeter, a public information officer for the N.C. Department of Public Instruction, said most school districts chose again not to cancel classes Wednesday. She said DPI has suggested local school systems implement their own crisis plans.

"Our main concern at this point is that (schools) be sensitive to the emotional needs of students," she said.

Local schools followed this trend, with Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools and Orange County Schools operating on regular schedules.

Chapel Hill Town Manager Cal Horton said town government was not slowed by the attack. Carrboro Town Manager Bob Morgan echoed the sentiment for Carrboro. A Board of Aldermen meeting canceled Tuesday has not yet been rescheduled.

Chapel Hill Chamber of Commerce President Aaron Nelson said the national airline shutdown prevented operation of long-distance mail and package delivery services. He added that the local community has not felt an impact.

"Nobody has called us to complain about their business being disrupted," Nelson said.

But Bailey said despite the inconvenience, she is glad for precautions.

"There's a part of me that doesn't want to be inconvenienced, but in today's atmosphere, thank you."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.