Police Roundup 9/11/01

University

Monday, Sept. 10

Ronald Earl Mayse of 100 W. Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill was removed from campus at 5:07 a.m., reports state. Reports state that Mayse was sleeping in a women's restroom in Phillips Hall when he was discovered and removed.

Sunday, Sept. 9

A Chapel Hill resident reported at 4:40 p.m. that she had been followed on two separate occasions by the same man. According to reports, the woman was walking in Coker Arboretum on May 4 at 6:30 a.m. when she heard a crackling noise behind her. She observed a man between 25 and 45 years old and about 200 pounds walking behind her.

Reports state that the woman was walking in the N.C. Botanical Gardens Aug. 4 when she saw the same man behind her. She said she decided the man was following her but did not report it right away because she was not sure how important the incident was.

Police reported to Hinton James Residence Hall at 12:02 a.m. after the resident assistant on duty said he smelled marijuana in the hall, reports state. Officers spoke with the resident of the room, who admitted he had smoked marijuana about an hour and a half before police arrived. After searching the room, no marijuana was found, reports state.

Friday, Sept. 7

According to reports, an officer was patrolling Coker Arboretum when he saw four females passing what appeared to be a cigarette, reports state. Upon approaching the women, the officer saw one put something in her purse. He asked the woman to show the object, which was a glass pipe used for smoking marijuana. According to reports, the officer also discovered a bag containing less than an ounce of marijuana, which one of the women admitted was hers.

According to reports, Jenna Marie Voutsinas of 414 Manly Residence Hall was issued a citation for possession of drug paraphernalia, and Kena Rae Grace, also of 414 Manly, was issued a citation for marijuana possession.

According to reports, a UNC employee reported a person sleeping in the bushes near Hill Hall at 8:19 p.m. A woman was discovered, and police issued her a warning and told her not to come back to campus.

Wilson Kehoe, of 5404 Beaumont Drive in Durham, was removed from campus after he was found sleeping on the grass outside West House. He was told not to come back to campus, reports state.

City

Monday, Sept. 10

Carrboro police cited Charles Thomas Wright Jr., of 209 Maple Ave. for possession of a schedule IV substance at 1:52 a.m. Reports state that he was arrested after a traffic stop on Jones Ferry Road.

The report stated that Wright admitted to possession of about one gram of marijuana and a pill that had "312" printed on its face. Wright was cited and released.

Sunday, Sept. 9

Chapel Hill police arrested Steven Adonis Brown, 21, of 200 Snowcrest Trail in Durham at 1:03 a.m. Reports state that Brown was arrested on Franklin Street for warrants for reckless driving to endanger, speeding and one felony count of speeding to elude arrest. Brown was processed and released after being held under a $2,500 unsecured bond.

Chapel Hill police arrested Dianne Snipes Dean, 46, of 103 Hill St. in Carrboro at 1:44 a.m. Reports state that Dean was arrested for felony possession of crack cocaine and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

Dean was stopped for an expired registration sticker and was arrested after a crack pipe was found in her possession. She was also found to have approximately 1.5 grams of crack cocaine, reports state. Dean was released on a written promise to appear.

Saturday, Sept. 8

Chapel Hill police reported a breaking and entering and larceny at a residence on Airport Road at 7:19 p.m. Reports state that an assailant stole a Dell computer valued at $3,000 and a Palm Pilot valued at $250. The case has been closed and leads exhausted, reports state.

Carrboro police arrested Hugo Flores, 42, address unknown, for misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon at the Pantry, located at 500 Jones Ferry Road. Reports state that Flores cut a victim with a broken glass bottle. Flores was taken to the Orange County Jail and placed under a $250 secured bond. He is scheduled to appear Nov. 5 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.