Security at Postgame Celebration Too Harsh, Ruined Festive Mood

For the last four years, the students of UNC have been waiting for something like Saturday's win to happen.

Our football team got its biggest win since 1960, and not only did we beat Florida State, but we also annihilated the national powerhouse by handing them their worst loss since 1985.

It was a fantastic moment.

And how did the Kenan Stadium security and UNC public safety respond to the student body's much-anticipated jubilation after the game?

They did it by literally body-checking those students who tried to take down the goalpost.

I could not believe my eyes as I watched the University's response to two of my friends and many other Tar Heels emulating what they have seen other school's fans do on ESPN's SportsCenter for years.

Instead of being able to celebrate, they were met by security and police who forearmed them in the chest and threw them on the ground.

I completely endorse, as I am sure all of the fans do, the game's heightened security and whole-heartedly appreciate their efforts.

However, drilling students as they are in midair to take down a goal post, which is a long-lived college football tradition, is completely unacceptable -- whether it was security's decision or if it came from a higher-up authority.

Robert Vice
Senior
History and Psychology