Shop Until You Drop in Chapel Hill

Families looking to deck themselves or their little Tar Heels out in Carolina Blue this Carolina Family Weekend should keep one place in mind for their shopping needs: Franklin Street.

But most store owners said the weekend will just be business as usual when it comes to providing UNC-related merchandise and memorabilia.

Traditional UNC merchandise needs can be met by Franklin Street staples such as Johnny T-Shirt, the Shrunken Head Boutique, Chapel Hill Sportswear, Carolina Pride and Whims Cards and Gifts, to name a few. All of these stores are located on Franklin Street.

And while bargain hunting might be on the minds of parents, local shop owners said that sales could be hard to find.

Genny Wrenn, who works at the Shrunken Head Boutique, located at 155 E. Franklin St., said not to look for flashy advertisements, coupons or sales.

"We've never had a (clearance) sale in the 32 years that we've been here," she said.

Wrenn added that the Shrunken Head doesn't advertise either, another common feature of UNC-oriented Franklin Street businesses.

Tracey Beine, an associate at Chapel Hill Sportswear, located at 133 E. Franklin St., said having a Franklin Street storefront provides sufficient advertising. "Because we're on Franklin Street we realize that parents are going to be out anyway," she said. "When you're getting the foot traffic you don't really need to advertise."

But Greg Turner, an assistant manager at Johnny T-Shirt/The Carolina Store, located at 128 E. Franklin St., said his business was playing with a few promotional ideas. "We try to promote it as best as possible," he said.

But Turner also echoed sentiments similar to his competitors. "The store's been around for 18 years, so most people know us, and we have a lot of repeat customers," he said.

Those looking to meet their clothing needs without plastering themselves with Carolina blue logos also can find their niche with a stroll on Franklin Street.

Anjana's, located at 135 E. Franklin St., is having a remodeling sale that will last through the weekend, said Johanna Carrier, an associate at the store.

Shoppers looking for vintage style and bargain prices can stop by Time After Time Vintage Thrift Shop, located at 414 W. Franklin St.

But no matter what your style, a walk on Franklin Street could leave you with something vintage, something new and something Carolina blue.