While stressing the importance of stabilizing the University's financial situation -- from avoiding potential budget cuts to improving faculty salaries -- the chancellor revealed that the "quiet phase" of the Carolina First Campaign is coming to an end.
The campaign is a seven-year University effort, begun in July 1999, to gain private donations that will triple the $499 million allocated to UNC by the $3.1 billion state bond referendum.
Moeser said the amount of money raised during the initial private phase of the campaign will be announced on Oct. 12, University Day.
"Last year, I made a pledge to the people of North Carolina that we would triple the impact of the bond issue on this campus with private fund raising," Moeser said. "We intend to keep that pledge."
"This campaign will put us at the very forefront of public universities seeking private support. It will make us more competitive in recruiting the best minds -- students, faculty and staff."
Matt Kupec, vice chancellor for university advancement, would not comment on the exact amount the first phase of the campaign had accumulated but confirmed that more than $1 billion in private contributions already have been raised.
"We've been two years into a quiet phase," Kupec said. "So on October 12 (when the public phase is launched), we'll have a detailed plan of what we're going to accomplish."
Moeser said a successful campaign would enhance UNC's academic vision. He estimated that the money raised will support 200 new endowed professorships as well as 1,000 new scholarships and fellowships.
"Those numbers help demonstrate how this campaign will help meet our academic goals," Moeser said. "And indeed, this effort will determine whether or not we reach our ultimate vision."