Student Maintains That We Can't Learn From Each Other By Fighting

For the past week, I have been greatly saddened by the events that have taken place. Today, however, I am disgusted. After eating lunch, I saw there was a large crowd gathered in the Pit. Because I was curious, I walked over. What I saw there both saddened and infuriated me.

A group of Muslim students had come out and set up posters explaining what they believe in and what exactly the Koran says about issues such as other religions and holy wars. They were out there to show that Islam as a whole is not out to destroy the rest of the world, and that they don't hate all other religions as many people have been saying lately.

However, a Christian preacher decided it was the perfect opportunity to start preaching as to why Christianity is the only true belief. To make matters worse, another man came up and started mocking every word the preacher said.

The crowd loved it, laughing at every single statement. What had begun as an effort to teach in order to unite different groups became a free-for-all in destroying one another. The Christians were tearing down the Muslims, and the Muslims were tearing down the Christians.

What happened last Tuesday was humanity attacking humanity.

And so, accordingly, we should respond not as Christians or Muslims but as fellow human beings. We shouldn't hate one another; that only means the terrorists succeeded. Their hatred was passed onto us, and it has never been so clear to me as it was this afternoon.

Mary Beth Danforth

Freshman

Biology