Ticket Distribution Does Not Improve Student Safety

I am an avid Carolina fan, and do my best to attend as many sporting events as I can here. However, I'm not too fond of the fact that I rely on the CAA for coordination of some of these events and the processes by which I am able to attend these events.

I am referring to this weekend's FSU game, and the fact that I must go obtain tickets that will be "distributed randomly," says Mr. Reid Chaney, CAA President. Maybe he means "distributed randomly" in the same sense that basketball tickets were "distributed randomly" last year for several big games, those random people being members and friends of the CAA's upper echelon who received the best student tickets.

The CAA's assumption that entrance to the stadium will be hectic is probably very true; however, I fail to see the logic behind Mr. Chaney's statement that "students are safer" with tickets, as opposed to the ONE Card entrance process. Maybe our tickets will prevent us from being mauled, which happened to me too often last year while using my ONE Card for access.

In short, I find it hard to believe that distributing tickets for a free football game will increase my safety or chances of getting in. My attendance of Carolina athletics should not depend on a group of officials proven to be crooked, or maybe I should "get to know the right people" so I can get great seats in the Dean Dome come basketball time.

Greg Whitley
Sophomore
Political Scienc